Becoming Mom: On Discipline
Why do I feel like the "terrible twos" are here about 10 months too early? All of a sudden I have a very independent, opinionated and yes even sometimes defiant little boy on my hands. I am not quite sure where to turn at this point. I've darkened the doors of the library yet again to load up on parenting books, but haven't found the time to really read them. Or the interest for that matter.
I think what I really need isn't someone telling me what to do. It's guts. I need the guts to find out what kind of discipline Oscar needs and how to give it. I need the guts to follow through and stay consistent. I need the guts to keep reminding myself that sometimes the good guy has to look like the bad guy.
I know that children need discipline in their lives. They crave authority as long as it's provided with a heavy dose of love. I never in a million years could have understood how hard it would be to look my crying son in the eyes and deny him what he wants. Even if what he wants more than anything is to touch a hot oven. It is HARD. And I am the bad guy.
And I need to be ok with that.









4 comments:
Oh Momma, it is hard. You are a loving parent and Oscar knows that. He always will... even if you have to be the bad guy.
((Hugs))
-Abby
It IS so hard.....I always say that Emma and I have a love/hate relationship. No matter how unhappy I make her....I am the one she runs to to make it all better. Pretty crazy--and aweosme. I find the more I gently explain to her reasons for things the better it is...even when she was 14 months old....(althought it is a lot easier and more productive now that she can communicate back with me)....Hang IN THERE....I know how hard it is!
Thanks Ladies! It helps to know I am not alone :-) There is always a "hard part" thankfully it keeps changing!
Emily, agreed. There was a point with Daniel too that calmly talking to him clicked for him. I'm not saying he's any less rebellious than at 1, but he definitely understands a lot more, including my disappointment in his attitude and how being sweet and polite gets him much farther.
Post a Comment