The Importance of Date Night
When Jerry and I got married it seemed like everyone's first line of advice was to make Date night a priority. It's not a new idea and in my own life, I have been fortunate enough to have parents who have been faithful to each other in marriage for almost 43 years. And I can not think of a season in their marriage when dates were cut out. Like many families, we had seasons of more wealth than others. But even in those lean times, they would find a way to have a date. I remember a season when my folks were both working and very busy. They were just meeting their goals and really didn't have a lot of resources to go around gallivanting. But they made it work. Every Sunday morning, they would get up early, go through the drive through and get 2 breakfast sandwiches for $2 and drive to the dock with their lawn chairs. They would set up camp and eat their breakfast, talk and connect before another busy week. It was small, but intentional. Time and money can be hard to come by, but don't let excuses keep you from this very important factor in marriage! Whenever I hear my parents refer to dating, even all these years later, they most often refer to those humble dates at the dock.
As we were standing in the lobby of the $1.50 theater we had some time to kill so we played an arcade game and I joked about Jerry getting me a stuffed animal in the "claw" game. Well he tried twice and I ended up with the ugliest stuffed dog you have ever seen. And I love it! We laughed and talked and carried on. It was really refreshing. And even though we really didn't talk about it, I think we were both proud of ourselves for sticking to our larger goal of not overspending. We saw the movie Couples Retreat which was both hilarious and heartwarming. Oscar was hanging out with his Aunt Amy and cousins Canyon and Aly and they also had a great time.
It was just what we needed.












6 comments:
I loved this, thanks for sharing. My husband and I don't go out often but I've heard this humble advice and totally think we should start.
We know someone who we totally would trust with our 21 month too.... so no more excuses ...lol!
Is is bad that when you say 'humble dates at the dock' I have NO idea what you are talking about?
Haha Angie, no you were long gone (married) by then!
Ya for Date Night. Sometimes keeping it modest and having a budget challenge makes it fun and you get to be more creative.
Last month I was ministering in Florida without Mom, so I went to our favorite dock and called her for a date. Then I went on to preach at Flowing River Church in Clearwater.
Isn't the best part being together and laughing anyway? I am also proud of your sticking to your budget as well. I will emulate you when faced with the choice in the future.
Post a Comment