Maintaining Order...
*image via flickr
So even though we've been back at the grind for a while now, I still feel like we just got through the holidays. This weekend was great, but by no means "normal" so as I look around our house I see lots and LOTS of unfinished business. Jerry and I were talking about the definition of "Spring" last night and where he (and most of the world) consider Spring to start sometime in March/April, I feel like it really starts with the new year. When I think of Spring, I think new beginnings and fresh growth. Coincidentally, I think those same things at the start of a new year, so in my mind January=Spring. Simple!I already feel the itch to overhaul the house and clean/paint/get rid of things. Why wait til April? We've already started a bit by creating the playroom, but we have a lot of baby-proofing to do beyond outlet covers and I need to get re-organized in our new layout. So hopefully the next few weeks will be all about organization. That said, what is your favorite way to get organized? I would love some tips!










6 comments:
Well, I don't necessarily call this a tip, maybe more just a process. With two little boys getting the stuff that needs to be organized (or plotting their own messes in other rooms), I have to be able to stop and cleanup in a moment's notice.
When I'm cleaning out a closet, bookshelf, or cabinet, I only take out a little at a time to organize. It might sound cheesy, but I set a timer for 10-15 minutes and just clean out one shelf/section. When the timer is up, I try to put everything away as quickly as possible (putting back on the shelf, throwing it away, or putting it in the charity box in the car). Then, on to the next section/shelf. Sometimes, it really only takes 5 min per shelf, but you get the idea.
In the end, it's nice to have a little something done and not a HUGE pile of stuff waiting for me to get rid of. Plus, this means I don't have to wait until naptime to organize.
Like you, I don't like waiting until spring to organize. It's more of an on-going process. Why wait, when you can do a little at a time.
I am right there with you. I have a mental list a mile long of things to do- starting with completing the shelving project in our attic/new family room closet. We bought the stuff before Christmas but didn't come close to finished.
Tips? Hmm... not sure if I know better than anyone although I will say, I reorganized Linus's closet right before Christmas (in anticipation of the toy influx) and I couldn't possibly have gotten it done with him around. So I sent Daddy and Linus out to run some errands while I quickly emptied and sifted through all the stuff. So, basically, I try to save most of my projects for times when the toddler is not present whether that's nap time or daddy-time. It has the added bonus of mentally releasing me from the work to focus on playing with my little guy.
Good luck with all your projects and don't forget to prioritize or you'll be left with a 1000 project starts and very little finish.
-Abby
I don't I'll ever have everything in it's right place. Especially with a pack-rat husband, a tiny home and a busy baby.... my dream starts with a bigger house.... one day!
We're doing the same thing over here. Rearranged g's room, created a playspace in the corner of the living room and reorganized all of my clothes so far. We have a huge list to do (as always) but since I've been able to SEE the progress and FEEL it's effects on my psyche it's motivating me to keep at it!
G was at MMO when we rearranged her room (it's sooo much better!) and when I brought her home she looked puzzled and said, "Bookshelf? Crib?" I said "We changed your room around. Do you like it?" She started running around and pointing and listing all the things we changed and then just summed it up with "Changed everything!!" :)
Regan, that's so cute. We changed up our living room while Daniel was with the grands and he came home and was running his hand along the bookshelves going, "whoah..."
Organizing is definitely best when the little one is away (or napping if I can keep it quiet). I like the idea of breaking things up into smaller tasks. Inevitably I pull out everything and run out of time before I make real progress.
Ok I love the little bit at a time thing. I am such a biter of more than I can chew. I think if I do things one shelf/drawer at a time and forgo the "everything on the bed" tactic, I might just be able to do this!
Post a Comment