But what about the Fun?
Isn't it interesting how the definition of "fun" changes over time? I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately. Everyone needs downtime and we all have different ideas of the best way to spend whatever free moments we have each day.
For me, downtime when I was single included going to concerts, out to eat, the movies, shopping. Basically anything to get out of the house and around other people. While I still enjoy those things, most days I am trying to figure out how to get the most out of being at home with my family. Case in point, last Saturday.
Jerry was home and I could have done whatever I wanted to do, but I couldn't think of anything I wanted to do more than stay home and play with Oscar AND Jerry. I did end up leaving for a couple hours to get my hair cut, and that was very relaxing (I love the shampoo!) but in all honesty, I was excited to come home to my family. I think that is wonderful, but I also know that even happy mamas need a break.
It brought up the idea of fun. In all things balance, so I need to find things that I enjoy that are my own hobbies, like this blog. Now that the cooler weather is here, I am loving being outside so I hope to do more things like hiking and going to parks with Oscar. I know that many of you are super talented (cough*Paige*cough) and do a lot of crafting in your down time. So, what ARE your hobbies? What do you do to relax and get that "me" time that we all crave? I need some ideas!









5 comments:
I like to think I have hobbies but I'm really just a dabbler. I knit, paint, craft but really it all comes in little spurts. i feel like joe has so many things that are "him" but when I try to think about things that are "me" I come up empty.
You are so talented at decorating and sewing! I think what finally helped me make room for me time was having a space to work in. Do you have a space in the house carved out for you? Also, I think being as distracted as young mothers are, having small projects helps. Sure, I'd like to sew a quilt, but I need immediate results and something that I can accomplish in 1 or 2 sittings. Pottery gives me that. The garden gives me the long term, but it doesn't take much prep to get outside and poke around in the weeds and such.
Photography has helped me immensely when it comes to doing something I enjoy. I also like to sneak away to our basement entertainment area and watch reruns of shows, or shows my husband doesn't like. I'm not too much of a tv watcher, so thats a little treat.
I have learned I need to force myself to take solo me time. Right now, in the very limited time I have with Mike, I really want to be WITH him, and it's tough to go away from him.
That said, for creativity, crochet or sewing are usually it for me. For space, I find a long bath works wonders, and when I need to go away, I like to go to Barnes & Noble and read magazines. None of them are profound, but it works for me.
Post a Comment