3.03.2010

A Visit With Ms. Betty

Yesterday, Oscar and I walked across the street to visit with our neighbor, Ms. Betty. It was cold and rainy and I almost chickened out. But, thanks to the accountability of the internet and yesterday's post, we soldiered on!

Ms. Betty came to the door and immediately invited us in. Her home was much like my grandparents used to be, a little too warm, full of a lifetime of collectibles, and game show blaring on a too loud tv. It was wonderful. Oscar immediately started groping for every breakable thing within his reach. And let me tell you, it was a porcelain wonderland! Needless to say, he was restrained to my lap for most of our visit.

We came armed with a box of thin mints and Ms. Betty told us all about how her family had just been to visit for her birthday. Her church even threw her a birthday party and over seventy people came! Can you imagine the love she must have felt!? So amazing. Ms. Betty has been in her home since it was built, over 40 years ago. She still takes her own trash to the street and works in her garden in the spring. She lost her husband some years back so, she says, she doesn't do as much as she used to. But I think she is amazing. Every Sunday I see her in her robe picking up her paper, and taking her neighbor's paper to their porch so it doesn't get stolen. I'm so glad we got to spend some time together.

2 comments:

Jessica,  3/03/2010 11:06 AM  

maybe our cg could ask if she needs any work done around the house. like projects.

Emily,  3/03/2010 2:09 PM  

That is such a sweet thing you did!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Have a question? I'd love to hear from you! Drop me a line at
andrea@lilkidthings.com

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP