2.24.2010

Nap Shmap...

If you follow me on twitter (follow me on twitter!) you might have seen that today we are trying a little experiment. It's called, let the child take one nap instead of two.

For many of you, this is just another one of those things that just sort of happens naturally. But not me. For me, when it comes to sleep, I tend to get a little psycho susie. I need my sleep, my child needs his sleep. And I NEED my child to sleep to maintain my sanity and ability to mother appropriately.

I know it comes and goes and I can deal with the crazy day here and there. But I would be lying if I said we liked going with the flow. We have pretty structured days for the most part and that's how we thrive. That is, until this week.

For the past several days, Oscar has been super fighting his first nap. This is a child who used to go looking for his blanket and ask to be put in the crib. Once he finally slept for 30 or 40 minutes in the morning, we would go about our day as usual. Only then the afternoon nap got all wonky and then all bets were off. And again, if I am honest, I've been dreading the 2 to 1 nap transition as I don't really know how to entertain Oscar for more than 2 hours at a time.

But today we are taking the plunge.

I am sure this will be a process just like everything else up to this point. And maybe today will be an experiment where we'll learn that we aren't ready. But so far, it's gone really well and I think we are both happier. This morning we played at home for a while and then went to Marbles where it was CHAOTIC. Despite the craziness and the fact that we flat out skipped the morning nap, Oscar did great. We came home, had an early lunch and he went down for his nap without issue. I am sure I will have more to say about this on the other side. One mother I spoke to said it took a good 2 weeks for her daughter to make the switch, so I know it won't happen overnight. Others have said it was a really tough transition, while more still sing the praises of the super-nap. For us, only time will tell. What about you? How did the 2-1 nap transition go in your house?

2 comments:

Jessica,  2/24/2010 2:24 PM  

Go for it. But don't feel committed to it either. It took Jude a couple weeks of back a forth between 1 and 2 naps to finally transition. This is where I had to learn to figure out what he needed each day. Eventually, he fell into a nice groove.

Jennifer Wells,  2/24/2010 8:50 PM  

Wow, already? I'm not ready and luckily Sebastian is still taking his 2, but I'm hoping he'll just take one really long nap when it goes down to one. I think that's wishful thinking though :) Good luck with the transition!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Have a question? I'd love to hear from you! Drop me a line at
andrea@lilkidthings.com

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP