Becoming Mom: Another Rite of Passage
I have decided to add a feature called Becoming Mom. Technically it's not a new feature as I have been writing about this for many months already. But now it has a fancy new name! Oscar hit a fun milestone yesterday by standing in his crib! Hooray! It was a proud moment followed by a nice afternoon walk. However, in my haste to get us out the door, I hit a not so fun milestone by turning my back for .012 seconds, which was just long enough for him to roll off the couch!
Not really a milestone I was going for, OR looking forward to. He's never fallen off the couch. There was that one time he scooted off the bed into a pile of pillows and blankets, but Jerry caught him on the way down. I know Oscar will fall down and get hurt, skin his little knees and possibly break a bone here or there as he grows up (gag I can't even phathom that!). What kills me is when he gets hurt or scared because I wasn't looking. I have talked to a couple moms since yesterday and the response is universal. "Oh yeah, it happens to everyone", or "yup, right of passage", and my personal favorite, "it only gets better". Which brings me to an amazing idea I spotted somewhere in my journeys on the internet. My apologies to the originator of this idea as I can't remember you. But, it's a genius idea and I think we all need to keep it going!
Basically, at a baby shower, all the moms write down one really stupid thing they did that they swore they would never do. The idea is to show that moms are only human and we all make mistakes. This is NOT an excuse to not watch your child. It's simply a bonding experience meant to take the pressure off. Especially for a first time mom who is CERTAIN that everything will be JUST RIGHT. Not that I know anyone like that....
Not really a milestone I was going for, OR looking forward to. He's never fallen off the couch. There was that one time he scooted off the bed into a pile of pillows and blankets, but Jerry caught him on the way down. I know Oscar will fall down and get hurt, skin his little knees and possibly break a bone here or there as he grows up (gag I can't even phathom that!). What kills me is when he gets hurt or scared because I wasn't looking. I have talked to a couple moms since yesterday and the response is universal. "Oh yeah, it happens to everyone", or "yup, right of passage", and my personal favorite, "it only gets better". Which brings me to an amazing idea I spotted somewhere in my journeys on the internet. My apologies to the originator of this idea as I can't remember you. But, it's a genius idea and I think we all need to keep it going!
Basically, at a baby shower, all the moms write down one really stupid thing they did that they swore they would never do. The idea is to show that moms are only human and we all make mistakes. This is NOT an excuse to not watch your child. It's simply a bonding experience meant to take the pressure off. Especially for a first time mom who is CERTAIN that everything will be JUST RIGHT. Not that I know anyone like that....
And by the way, Oscar's tumble off the edge of the couch was much more traumatic for me than it was for him. As soon as he saw my shiny earrings, all was forgotten. Maybe next time HE can wear the earrings so I can forget....










5 comments:
1. Woohoo I made your personal favorite.
2. I think making Oscar wear the shiny earrings would be much more traumatic for him in the end.
Aw. It's hard, but don't get too upset. Every mother has done something like this. And you're right. Much more traumatic for the mom.
Hi. Visiting from SITS. Cute blog.
I had to do a double take when I saw you lived "inside the beltline" I've done draperies for a lot of houses over there ! Stopping by from SITS, have a great day !
Once I pushed Micah off the bed in the middle of the night. We were at my parents' and the bed is smaller than our king bed. I switched sides with him to nurse him, and over the edge he went! Oops...
Post a Comment