Can we talk about the Flu?
Ok folks, it's survey time! I am trying to filter through all this flu shot information and I am SO torn this year! I have only had the flu shot once and it was fine. I have also had the Flu once and it was HORRIBLE. Also, with Oscar and I am trying to decide about the flu shot with him.
I am generally not prone to getting it, but with all the hype about H1N1 this year I am definitely paying closer attention. Now, Oscar is too young for flumist, but he COULD get the regular shot. I could get both, but I just don't know how I feel about such a new vaccination.
I know this can be a sensitive subject so I have created a poll! Please vote and tell me what you plan to do. Feel free to leave a comment as well! I am not asking you to decide for me, just interested in what you are thinking. Thanks!









7 comments:
I'm the dork who voted "other". I have to wait until after the first trimester to do anything, but I think catching the flu with an 11 month old and one on the inside would be [sheer torture]. So right now I'm an other because I have no idea but am really trying to figure out the best thing too.
So, I'm a 3/4 nurse now and just had several lectures on vaccine preventable diseases, with flu and H1N1 being some of them. The flu vaccine is a killed virus, which means it CANNOT give you the flu- the virus can't replicate, but it does take two weeks to give you protection. If you were exposed to the virus before you got the shot or two weeks after, you would still get the flu. The flumist is different- it is a live vaccine and can replicate up to 20 times (usually not enough to give you a huge reaction, but enough to cause an immune response). From my understanding, H1N1 is the same as the regular killed vaccine- can't give you the flu, but will give protection.
I will get the vaccine- I hope lots of people do. I've taken care of babies in the hospital on oxygen and IV fluids because their parents got the flu and gave it to them. It's a really sad, dangerous and preventable disease!
I have never gotten the flu shot (maybe when I was little but not since 1994 at least). This year will be the first year I get it--and I am getting it because we do have a little one in the house. Emma will also get it. She got it last year at her 1 year well baby...and will get it this year at her 2 year well baby :) Her pedi recommended it and I usually do what they tell me b/c I trust them. I can't get my husband to get one.....but Emma and I will be protected :)
Our family generally doesn't get the flu shots. But we are generally healthy. My oldest gets it because he has asthma and the specialist almost don't give us a choice.
It's a hard choice. I've talked to a lot of people too.
I voted my entire family will get both shots...my entire family being me and my hubby ;) I'm nearly 23 weeks preggo and therefore in one of the "high risk" groups. I've never gotten the flu shot before, but my obgyn is strongly encouraging all of her patients to get the vax asap. After much thought and research, Hubby and I are taking her adivce. The earliest we can get in is tomorrow...so we'll be in line for it then.
I put *other* because hubby is getting both at work & I'm not getting either one. I figure it's better to not go to a doctor's office where a bunch of flu-infected people have been than to go and get the shot.
I got the regular flu shot because I always do. My future mother-in-law is a nurse she said that this year's regular flu shot has a combo of 3 flu strains, one of which is H1N1. So in theory, this year's traditional flu shot should offer some protection against H1N1. I don't know what the differences are between the strain of H1N1 in the regular flu shot and the H1N1 vaccine. I am going to stick with the one I got and see how it pans out.
Post a Comment