10.16.2009

Creating Home - 1950s Here I come!


Today has been one of those wonderfully successful housewife days. And I couldn't be happier! It started off pretty early (just shy of 7am) but I find that I have the most energy in the mornings, despite my love of sleep. It's 10am and I have already cleaned the kitchen, done 2 loads of laundry, had breakfast, fed Oscar and made the bed. It's mornings like this that remind me of why I wanted to stay home with our kids.

Some days I just feel like I am getting through, or getting by. I don't feel motivated to do much of anything and it all just seems so hard and monotonous. But then I have a day like this and I am so right smack.dab. in the middle of my element that I just have to smile. I am not just cleaning the kitchen again, or changing the baby again. I am creating memories. I am creating HOME.

I want to be here and I want to serve my family. It's honestly WHAT I WANT. I don't mind being called domestic, or 1950s or 'just a mom', because it's the one thing I have always wanted more than anything else. I want our children to have certain smells remind them of home or of a favorite season. I want them to remember reading together and how the house was always decorated a certain way at Christmas. That stuff doesn't just happen. We make it happen! And I guess that's what I am saying. If I ever had a calling, this is it. Sometimes even when we are doing the thing we love most, we can get bored or dissatisfied. In those times, I think it's important to take it easy and ride it out. Turn on some music while you get things done and make those memories! I have a feeling, you'll be glad you did.

3 comments:

Paige Puckett,  10/16/2009 11:07 AM  

So glad you are finding your groove! You are right, a home has to be made.

Corrie Howe,  10/16/2009 6:53 PM  

I'm all about making a house a home, but I'm so not into cleaning with a good attitude. ;-)

Jen,  10/16/2009 10:17 PM  

Linking up from Blissfully Domestic :) I totally agree with you-it's empowering when we embrace our role of being a mom/housewife/homemaker! And I love what you said about having "smells remind them of home or of a favorite season" and about decorating the house and other traditions. Those are things I still associate with my childhood, and I want my kids to feel the same.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Have a question? I'd love to hear from you! Drop me a line at
andrea@lilkidthings.com

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP