Reflections on The Easter Weekend...
I hope everyone had a great weekend! Ours was a great mix of relaxing and productive, with a touch of stress thrown in for good measure. I was so in the right mindset for Maundy Thursday this year. It was probably the highlight of my weekend spiritually. The service was excellent, Oscar did great in the nursery and Jerry and I had a really nice time reflecting and praying together. Logistically, everything went well, which meant I could stay focused. I hate that I tend to be so easily distracted, but when you spend your life in a worship band, or as a Pastor's daughter, you tend to notice the details. I have become better at tuning them out, but not always. Thursday night, it wasn't necessary at all. Great job everyone!
Friday was nice because Jerry got to come home early, so we had some extra family time. Oscar LOVES his dada and follows him around wherever he goes. We also got Butler shirts for the Final Four from Jerry's dad because his wife teaches at Butler and they live in Indy! Needless to say, we were pretty happy on Saturday, despite the fact that we live 30 min from Duke.
We had a great family day on Saturday, starting with my trip to the Farmer's Market and then Raleigh Easter. That event was PACKED so a few of us decided to do an impromptu egg hunt elsewhere. Oscar loved finding the eggs and we had a great time hanging out and letting our kids run around. Jerry and Oscar watched the Butler game Saturday night and I did some reading.
Then came Sunday. AHHH Easter Sunday! The big celebration! I have to admit that somehow, on the tails of an awesome weekend, Sunday just sort of fell apart for me. Oscar had an awful time in the nursery and I missed half the service. I always get so stressed out when he has a hard time. I know it's a phase that he will grow out of. But I feel like just when he has a good time and I think we are through it, the next visit is 3 times worse. And for some reason, this is one issue that I just can't roll with. Amy came to church with us, which was nice. Then we all came home and had lunch. The afternoon/evening were pretty good, but Oscar had a hard time going to bed for some reason. I jumped ship to get some groceries and came home to a nice quiet house. Thanks Jerry! All was well after some ice cream :-).
Looking back, it's not like yesterday was so bad. I think it was just less than my anticipation. I tend to do that. I wanted it to be a fun and spiritually high mountaintop kind of day, and instead it was a run of the mill - in the trenches kind. We ended the evening with a really great conversation about trusting God and the understanding that He gets it all. We don't own anything, nor are we guaranteed flowers and fairydust. God is God of the exciting and the mundane and He can teach in any situation.
I really feel like the weekend came full circle. I think this Easter was different for me. It was far more reflective than usual, yet less emotionally stirring. I don't mind that. I am so thankful for my family and friends. I know that we are truly blessed.













2 comments:
The first thing my husband noticed when he shook Jerry's hand was his shirt...that was all he could talk about on the way home. He was like, "how did he get a shirt already?!"....it was funny. It was so good seeing y'all.
Ice cream makes everything better.
Post a Comment