4.24.2010

Reader Response: How do you relieve Stress?

Ahh such a great question. We all have stress coming at us from all sides. Some days are worse than others, but you have to have an outlet or big explosions of tears and expletives become all too frequent. Speaking of explosions, 3 nights in a row this week, I had terrible nightmares. The first night was about my husband cheating on me, the second night was about suicide (not my own, don't worry) and the third night I was living on a military base and we got bombed. As in hundreds of kamikaze flaming airplanes were nosediving from the sky and exploding on impact. I was left alone to get down in the bomb shelter.

Soooooo, about that stress?

The thing is, I haven't FELT particularly stressed out this week, but I also think I am getting better at avoidance and denial. two key virtues of being a mother. I kid! But really, that stress is in there and it has to get out, right?

Unfortunately for me, my destressers usually coincide with spending money, ie. going out to eat, getting a mani/pedi, shopping. All things that really super relax me. But when that isn't always possible, I try to improvise. Right now I am seriously loving the gym. Like never before. I can't believe I am saying this, but I am becoming a person who looks forward to exercise. Sometimes I will go in the evening when Jerry gets home and it's like a little mini vacation. I'll listen to music or an audio book while I tromp away on the elliptical. And my mind just stops. It's pretty rad.

And ok, I also look for good deals on pedicures. For real. Sometimes there is just no substitute! I use sites like Living Social and Groupon to get discounted gift certificates and then hang onto them like a hoarder until I am about to burst! I still have one that I plan on using right before my trip to Florida in June. And for those in the Raleigh area, you can check out Mom's Night Out, which is on May 6th. It will be a night of chocolate and pampering for Mamas! An early Mother's Day present, if you will. And I will.***edited to add - Mom's night out is a National Event so click the link to party with moms in your area!***

All that to say, I don't really know a right way to relieve stress. I do the best I can and take a lot of deep breaths. I blog and talk to friends and pray. What else should I be doing? What do you do?

6 comments:

Angie,  4/24/2010 9:12 AM  

I think I tend to use escapism. I emerse myself in a book. And I eat. :P

Jessica,  4/24/2010 9:19 AM  

I'm finding exercise is a great way to burn off some stress... and fat. hehe

The Williams Family,  4/24/2010 10:20 AM  

Funny Andrea, I needed this just yesterday. After Nate got home from work he took the boys & sent me out. I went to Morning Times, got a vanilla latte, went upstairs & sat in silence for a good 30 minutes just taking deep breaths. Then after a while I opened up my Bible & read and journaled a bit. Journaling is something I don't take much time for these days so both were a real treat. I walked out of there after an hour & 1/2 feeling refreshed & ready to take on the next task of bedtime ;) I needed my soul to be calmed, quiet and renewed by God's good truth.

Paige Puckett,  4/24/2010 12:03 PM  

Usually I get a little destresser time during Daniel's afternoon nap. Now that it's so beautiful outside, I go pull weeds, water, or plant something. The more digging involved, the better. In the winter, usually the tub and a magazine is a nice fix. I'm not sure what I'll do with two little boys!

VKT,  4/24/2010 10:12 PM  

this is such a great post. I could use a little destressing myself and the gym would be a perfect spot for me to get rid of some. Besides, I need to lose some weight!

Melissa (@adventuroo),  4/27/2010 10:37 PM  

I find that working out is the best destressor for me. Although I haven't done this in a while I sometimes like to do an easy yoga pose called "legs up a wall." It's just that- scoot your butt to the wall, back on the floor (or I lay on my mattress sometimes) and straighten your legs up the back of the wall. Sounds strange but I find it so relaxing... in fact I've been stressed lately too so I need to start doing this again!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Have a question? I'd love to hear from you! Drop me a line at
andrea@lilkidthings.com

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP