My First Mother's Day -- Weekend!
I feel like a 1st grader with a title like that, but what can you do? Originality has gone the way of the sleep. Yesterday was a lovely day! Actually, the whole weekend pretty much rocked. Jerry took Friday off to work on the front yard and as a result, we had a lot more time as a family than we normally get. It was so nice!
See Jerry's post for more about Friday's activities. I will say that he and Bob really killed it. Our yard is going to be great when it is all done and I can't wait! Also, Jerry's mom sent me a BEAUTIFUL bouquet of tulips to celebrate my very first Mother's Day. She may or may not know that tulips are my favorite, but they are! And these are some of the prettiest I have seen.

On Saturday we decided to go to the Farmer's Market. It was hot and packed full of people. MMM nothing like a bunch of sweaty humans wandering around a market to make you hungry? I'll admit, the Farmer's Market on a Saturday at noon in 90 degree weather is exactly what it sounds like. Hot, busy and smelly. BUT we rallied and got some great fresh veggies, free-range beef and cage-free eggs! We also scored the rest of the seedlings we needed to finish this year's garden. Oscar did great in the stroller until we were surrounded by the masses. At that point, he and I escaped the confines of the building in favor of a good cry in the parking lot. He then fell asleep for the remainder of our trip. We blew through our alotted budget with $4 to spare. Not ones to leave with cash left in our pockets, Jerry decided to get me some fresh cut Peonies as an early Mother's Day present! I wish I could relay how amazing these smell. They definitely rival tulips for 1st place ranking. If only for their smell! I also love that you can fill a vase with just 3 stems.
We came home and got right to working on the garden. We planted everything and started working on the stakes that will soon hold the climbing plants. I am super excited about our crops this year. Paige got us started with some seeds and the rest we supplemented from the market. If all goes well, we will be munching on tomatoes, yellow squash, cucumbers, garlic, onions, beans, snap peas, basil, oregano, cilantro, and watermelon this summer! I can't wait.
On Sunday, Jerry had planned to get up and make me an omelet. However, with all of our activity outdoors, the kitchen was sadly neglected on Saturday. So, instead he did the dishes and made us some bagels before church. Score! Vintage has switched to their summer schedule so Oscar was off again at the service. This meant that I spent most of it in the back trying to calm/nurse/sing to him in the hopes of getting him to sleep. I did get in on the second half and it was great! They also did mother-child portraits afterward so we had our picture taken together. I can't wait to see it! The backdrop was super cute so I hope they turn out well. We had burgers at the Village Deli for lunch and came home to do more work on the yard and house. Jerry cut the grass and we picked up sticks and swept the sidewalks. I feel like our yard is finally open for business! Good thing because I am ready for cookout season!
For dinner, I made roast chicken breasts with fresh veggies and olive oil. My mom came over and was able to stay and eat with us! It was such a nice and unexpected treat to have dinner with my mom and wish her a Happy Mother's Day as well! She had to work so I didn't expect to see her. Thankfully she was able to stop by on her way home. Oscar just woke up from his nap so he was all smiles for Grammy. Yay!
And now it's Monday. As I was nursing Oscar this morning, Jerry got up and said, how about that Mother's Day Omelet? It was delicious!! I am just filled with love and thanks for my family today. Any frustrations that I had this weekend *which i conveniently glossed over* just don't matter anymore. I am so blessed and I can't think of a better First Mother's Day!









2 comments:
Oh man, I didn't even know what peonies were til the first spring we were in our house - the previous owner had planted them. I love, love, love the way they smell! It's like a tiny bit of heaven.
i had a dream last night that oscar was a giant baby who "got out of the house" (you know, like Frank) and was walking down some random dirt road out in the country with our niece, Makenna. very weird. and oscar looked freakish as a giant baby, as any giant baby would.
so just thought you should know. watch out for growth spurts.
and happy mother's day! :)
Post a Comment