2.07.2009

Definitely having that Quantum Leap "Oh Boy" moment....


So, I think the sleep deprivation is starting to set in. And the fact that I am pretty much it for this baby right now. How overwhelming! It's frustrating in the sense that right now I feel like nothing is learnable. He changes every day so anything that works only works once - or twice if we are lucky. The past 24 hours he has been very clingy. Even if we put him down asleep, he can tell we aren't right next to him and it doesn't last long. He did have a good night though, only waking up twice to eat and after spending a couple hours in our bed this morning finally getting me up at 8 for breakfast.

Oscar is a good baby. And I am a good mommy. But mommy is exhausted! Even good babies are hard work. Yesterday was Jerry's first day back in the office. We were fine all day until he came home. It was like the kid you take to school and he is fine until you get back. All of a sudden I realized we had been alone all day and it just hit me. I wasn't just getting through that one day. This is my life! I know it will get easier as Oscar and I continue to learn each other and work out a pattern. And really I am not complaining, just trying to say, wow. Motherhood.

We got this list of questions for "Well Moms" at our birth class and I think it is a great check in for moms with kids of any age. I look at it often:

1. Have I eaten enough nutritious food today?
2. Have I slept or taken a nap for at least a few hours?
3. Have I bathed or showered today?
4. Have I exercised at least 20 minutes today?
5. Have I had at least 30 minutes of quiet time alone today?
6. Have I laughed today?
7. Have I let others help me today?
8. Have I kissed my baby and told him "I love you" today?
9. Have I talked to at least one adult today about how I am doing (not just about the baby)?
10. Have I forgiven myself or my partner for any minor mistakes that might have happened today?

All good things and I hope that I can answer yes to all of them on a regular basis!

2 comments:

Mama Goose,  2/07/2009 11:22 AM  

Don't exercise yet. :)

Does it help that later you'll get into a routine and it won't always be like it is now?

c. hodgson,  2/09/2009 10:52 AM  

Hang in there. It gets better. Slowly developing a routine/schedule makes a world of difference, but it takes some time to do that. One thing that helped me was to make sure that I got a shower and put on "real" clothes ever day ... it made me feel like I was still a woman and not just a sleep-deprived, nursing machine!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Have a question? I'd love to hear from you! Drop me a line at
andrea@lilkidthings.com

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP