Painting 101 - Part One
OK I will admit it, I am not the greatest painter. I always thing I can do something, and it almost NEVER turns out the way I want it. However, I insist on powering through to the next project hoping against hope that this time will be different! No really!
When it comes to walls I've tried tape, no tape, special tools, fancy rollers. It doesn't matter. I always end up with paint everywhere EXCEPT where it should be. When it comes to furniture, I am a lazy sander. I tend to just rough it up a bit and it never seems to be enough.
SO, this time I am asking for help. Not in the form of labor, but simply, tried and true tools and techniques to hook a girl up. I am working on our spare room and as we are all under a budget, I have been cutting corners where I can. As much as I would LOVE the Anthropologie Chinoserie bed for my guest room, it's unlikely that I will spend $1900 for something that will get used oh say 7 times a year....max? Therefore I went Craigslist hunting and found this diamond in the rough for $40. That's more like it.

This bed has been painted about eleventy billion times...so I need a plan of attack. It is metal, but it pretty lightweight - not iron or anything like that. Originally, I planned to use spray paint which is definitely still an option, however, in the interest of cost cutting, I do still have almost a whole can of rustoleum from when I painted our front door:
My question is, if I choose to paint this behemoth with a brush, what steps should I take? Does a metal bed need sanding/scuffing up? Should I prime it? Help Me!









4 comments:
sand it to even out the spots where paint has chipped away. prime it. and use a sponge roller. will work much better than a brush.
Light sanding and then a primer will make a big difference. And don't go cheap on the paint or the brush. When it comes to painting the saying "you get what you pay for" is very true. Good Luck....I know it will turn out awesome like the rest of your guys house looks !! Hi To the bass man !
I am sooooo on this...
I can't wait to see how it turns out!!! (I don't know anything about painting, but the idea of using a sponge roller definitely sounds as if it will end up looking more evenly applied than using a brush.)
Post a Comment