1.11.2008

My Own Backyard....


Do you have places that you drive by every day that you always say, "Man one day I am going to check that out," and then keep on driving? Well, I do.

Every single day on my way home from work, I drive through the Krispy Kreme District. I usually count it a victory to plow on through because it's almost always during the "hot now" hours. But lately I have been wondering how I made it this long without checking out the small businesses near the corner of Person and Franklin. You know the ones, they look almost forgotten, but thriving. I am determined to make the time and finally get to know these places. They are after all, practically in my backyard. I love Seaboard Station but I noticed that I always seem to blow right past a bit of Raleigh history. So that being said, here is my list!

Places I want to go (in no particular order):

Person Street Pharmacy
    • not just a pharmacy, this local store also boasts a restaurant and great Raleigh history!Conti's Italian Market
    • I seriously think this is the biggest offense. Don't hate me for not going here yet! I'm getting there! Here is a fan page which lists their menu....mmmmmm
  • That Hair Salon with the Bright Orange Banner....
    • I can't think of the name right now, but I am a perpetual salon hopper and it intrigues me...
  • The store with quilts in the window
    • I know this list is deteriorating quickly, but you get the idea....
Basically, I need to take a morning and just head over to Person Street. Maybe I'll even get a donut! If anyone has any more suggestions for that corner of the world, I'm all ears!

***pictures courtesy of mordecai.org

6 comments:

Anonymous,  1/11/2008 1:25 PM  

Conti's is great! I've never participated but I have heard great things about their cooking classes.

But Krispy Kreme... let's just say I have to take a detour about 4 blocks around them so that I don't get overwhelmed by the craving the smell implants in my brain!

I'm going to add you to my blogroll! Love the blog!

Jessica,  1/11/2008 1:36 PM  

which way to do drive home? we don't often drive by Krispy Kreme especially when driving to I-40. Try Wake Forest to Capital to Wade... much quicker and then you won't feel guilty for not stopping!

Anonymous,  1/12/2008 6:44 PM  

mmmmmmmmm sacriligious Doughnut.....

- D

Anonymous,  1/12/2008 8:32 PM  

Love your blog! Conti's is great. Although, I have heard rumors for years that they are going out of business...in fact once I was in there and the shelves were bare. But, they keep open. Love their proscuitto

Anonymous,  2/13/2008 10:16 PM  

The salon with the orange banner is Howard Jacobs, owned and operated by Anson Howard, a Raleigh native and fun person. He does good work too. Check him out sometime.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Have a question? I'd love to hear from you! Drop me a line at
andrea@lilkidthings.com

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP