6.14.2007

Bargain Shopper....

When I knew Jerry and I were getting married at some point in the future, I immediately commissioned my uber-talented mother to pencil me in for a custom made wedding gown. She was excited to help out and happy to be a part of the process. However, at the time, all of this was simply an if/when conversation since I hadn't officially received a proposal.

Well, when my friend Jessica got engaged and asked me to be a bridesmaid, I was thrilled to hear that our bridesmaid's dresses would be from J.Crew. It was only after I was wandering around the wedding shop online that I saw THE perfect wedding dress for THE perfect price! It was a couple sizes too big but I thought, well that's simple, I can just get it altered.




Are ya with me on this one? Jessica is engaged. Not me! I called my mother. "mom, would you be terribly disappointed if I bought a wedding dress off the rack and had you add some little things here and there instead of making the whole thing?". I was really worried about hurting her feelings, which was so so silly. She said, "are you kidding me?!?! That takes out the hard part. Buy it!!"

I decided to sleep on it. But by the end of the day when i checked one last time, the dress was gone! Sold out! Mission, aborted. I even told (my boyfriend) Jerry, haha, guess what I almost bought today.....

Well the next morning, I thought man I can't believe it was sold out. I actually really loved that dress - as much as you can love something in a 2"x4" picture on a computer screen. So I checked one last time. There it was, IN MY SIZE! I was elated and immediately bought it. I had it shipped to my mom's house so I wouldn't get any questions and anxiously awaited its arrival. I wondered...is it weird that I just bought my wedding dress, online, for $99, and I am not even engaged?? Well, there are too many answers to those questions, so I decided that I had to see if it worked. If not, I could always return it - no problem.

My dress arrived on a Friday afternoon. I met my mom at her church for a secret "fitting" of the dress to see if it was workable. I put it on and she fastened it up. Not only was it workable, it looked like it was made for me! not a hem or stitch will need to be moved! We couldn't believe it. It can't be this easy can it?

Well, I got my answer just 4 hours later, when, without knowing anything that had been going on, Jerry asked me to marry him.

3 comments:

AshleyHami,  6/15/2007 4:38 PM  

Awww...that is such a romantic story! I came across your name from weddingbee ;)

lsaspacey,  1/28/2009 3:57 PM  

Oh my god, what a great story! I discovered your blog yesterday and have been reading just your wedding posts in reverse order because I saw your gorgeous dress on the first one and I was trying to figure out if your mom made it or not. $99 dollars! Wow!

By the way, you had a lovely wedding!

I was intrigued by your whole blog when I read your About Me section. I started my blog SHELTER as a single apartment dweller girl thinking maybe it could carry me through romance, marriage, and home-ownership just like yours. It's good to know that it has worked. If you feel like it, please wish me luck too. Take care.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Have a question? I'd love to hear from you! Drop me a line at
andrea@lilkidthings.com

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP