It's come to this.
wedding porn \wed-ding porn\ noun:
1. Magazines and websites devoted to making celebrity weddings appear to be the norm."
2. Inspiring dejection; saddening; cheerless; as, "if you aren't rich, your wedding will be ugly."
I came across the use of this term while reading another blog. I added the definition to fill in any gaps. Now don't get me wrong, I think you can have a beautiful wedding on a budget and it doesn't even have to be a pig-pickin!
That being said, I have to guard myself from falling into the trap of you NEED this for your wedding! I actually don't need place cards and individual place-card holders. Thankfully, my family is full of social people who don't have to be coaxed into having a conversation with a stranger. It's fine if you want them, but I'm talking the standard here. I also don't need a mini cake at each person's seat, a dessert bar with a chocolate fountain, a $600 veil, or a floral display hung from each of the 150+ chairs we will have. These are extras!!
If you are still unsure of what I mean by wedding porn, here are a few more examples:



I understand that brides can get caught up in "the perfect wedding". And I am guilty of that to a degree. And hey if you want to spend $1300 on chair rental, that's your thing. I'm just not buying it. I am all for the special touches that make your day stand out from the rest. Little things that tell your guests that you care. But the industry is getting out of hand and I think we all know it. The fact is, my wedding won't look like in belongs on the cover of The Knot or Martha Stewart and I am ok with that. I am getting married and I couldn't ask for more!! I think you can have an amazing wedding for under $5k. We'll see if I am right!
2. Inspiring dejection; saddening; cheerless; as, "if you aren't rich, your wedding will be ugly."
I came across the use of this term while reading another blog. I added the definition to fill in any gaps. Now don't get me wrong, I think you can have a beautiful wedding on a budget and it doesn't even have to be a pig-pickin!
That being said, I have to guard myself from falling into the trap of you NEED this for your wedding! I actually don't need place cards and individual place-card holders. Thankfully, my family is full of social people who don't have to be coaxed into having a conversation with a stranger. It's fine if you want them, but I'm talking the standard here. I also don't need a mini cake at each person's seat, a dessert bar with a chocolate fountain, a $600 veil, or a floral display hung from each of the 150+ chairs we will have. These are extras!!
If you are still unsure of what I mean by wedding porn, here are a few more examples:



I understand that brides can get caught up in "the perfect wedding". And I am guilty of that to a degree. And hey if you want to spend $1300 on chair rental, that's your thing. I'm just not buying it. I am all for the special touches that make your day stand out from the rest. Little things that tell your guests that you care. But the industry is getting out of hand and I think we all know it. The fact is, my wedding won't look like in belongs on the cover of The Knot or Martha Stewart and I am ok with that. I am getting married and I couldn't ask for more!! I think you can have an amazing wedding for under $5k. We'll see if I am right!









1 comments:
What...no chocolate fountain? I'm afraid I can't make it.... ;)
Post a Comment